Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lost Classic - Wild In The Country (1961)


I discovered this gem thanks to TCM a few months ago. Hooked instantly by the stunning title track which plays during the opening sequence panning across gorgeous hills and valleys, I sought out more info about this film, a rare dramatic role for Presley. Fans of Elvis are surely aware of the early promise he displayed in films such as Love Me Tender and Loving You, but Wild In The Country is one that had completely escaped my attention. I've never been a huge fan of the King's post-Army output, but there's no denying he had a unique ability to deliver a song. Between the title track and his pared-down acoustic rendition of the lovely "In My Way", his gifts are on full display. I've prepared a four track sampler from this film, all sparse, acoustic material, two of which appeared in the film (Wild In The Country, In My Way), one gorgeous number which was left out of the film and later issued on the Elvis For Everyone LP (Forget Me Never), and an acoustic demo of another outtake (Lonely Man). More people need to see this film and hear these wonderful treasures. Click on the poster.

No comments: