Friday, August 28, 2009

Mike Nesmith, or More From The Monkees

I've already espoused on my love for The Monkees. Today I wanna share two of my favorite Mike Nesmith tracks. I'm pretty much on the fence as to whom my favorite Monkee is, it's tight between Micky & Mike. Nesmith (pictured left enjoying an ice-cold soda during the Headquarters sessions) was actually the only one of the Monkees that was chosen from open auditions. Apparently he showed up on his motorcycle wearing a floppy woolen cap and carrying a bag of his dirty laundry and the casting agents knew they had their man. He was also the only Monkee who was a legitimate songwriter & musician before the creation of the group (Peter Tork had some experience but hadn't released anything). Anyways, I'm not here to give you the guy's whole life story, here are two tracks from The Birds, The Bees, & The Monkees, both Nesmith compositions featuring Mike on vocals.
Tapioca Tundra
Magnolia Simms

No comments: