Sunday, May 16, 2010

Margo Guryan - Take A Picture (1967)

Another record I've been quite obsessed with lately, I came across this one looking through the Sundazed catalog. Apparently the title track was used in a film commercial recently, though I'd never heard it (apparently the commercial didn't run on MSNBC...) The story about this gal goes something like this: classically trained jazz pianist from New York, discovers pop music through Pet Sounds, writes/records killer album, decides she doesn't want to tour, record flops, becomes music teacher in LA. Is this saccharine pop? Maybe (though I don't think so). Guryan's singing style comes across like a gentle whisper, and the tenderness of her lyrics only reinforce the comforting quality of this music. But what really stands out to me is the production. The drum sounds on this record are fantastic. The kick is prominent throughout, and the toms really pop out at you. Please give a listen and share your thoughts.

No comments: